The native prairie of the United States once stretched from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. Today, less than one percent of the original 200 million acres of grassland remains. At Shooting Star Native Seeds, we’re devoted to the restoration of this unique ecosystem, actively sourcing and supplying local ecotype, native seed for our customers.
Each year, our seed helps to restore tens of thousands of acres of native prairies and wetlands in commercial, municipal, and private projects across the Midwest.
From its early beginnings on a family farm in Spring Grove, Minnesota, Shooting Star Native Seeds has grown into a full-service native seed facility. We have over 2,100 acres of native grasses, wildflowers, sedges, and rushes in production from seed sources from throughout the Midwest.
Commitment to Quality
Quality is central to our work and the value we deliver to our customers. Shooting Star Native Seeds is committed to providing products and services that exceed our customers’ expectations.
People Are Our Greatest Asset
Our dedicated staff is experienced, knowledgeable, and passionate about providing customers with the products and expertise needed for a successful restoration project. We operate one of the largest native seed farms in the Midwest with a team ready to assist you.
We see business success and environmental stewardship as linked and strive to be good stewards of the environment in every part of our business.
An Industry Leader
For over 25 years, Shooting Star Native Seeds has been a recognized leader in the native seed industry. We are:
- active members of local, regional, and national industry associations
- widely recognized for contributions within organizations such as Minnesota Crop Improvement Association and the Minnesota Department of Agriculture
- leaders in developing industry standards for source-identified native seed
- long-time supporters of conservation efforts and regular sponsors of industry conferences, events, and publications
Shooting Star Gives Back
Shooting Star Native Seeds is proud to support efforts that make a positive impact on the communities in which we live, work, and do business. Our giving focuses on three areas of priority:
- native prairie conservation and restoration efforts throughout the Midwest
- encouraging outdoor activities for youth
- impacting the communities where our employees live and work